We’re heading into the summer season when people start to go on holiday. Not everyone has a good time on vacation; some people just aren’t prepared for what they find. A British tour operator recently put together a list of complaints they have received from clients:
- “The water in the Gulf of Mexico was too salty. No one told me that there was going to be salt in the water. It was gross.”
- “The restaurant said ‘children eat free’ but my 19-year-old daughter still got charged for her meal.”
- “The train in Thailand didn’t have Yorkshire Tea.”
- “Our London hotel didn’t have an ocean view.”
- “It was far too hot for my liking.”
- “We got on the wrong train to the airport and missed our flight.”
- “We went to the beach and when we came back everything was covered in sand.”
- “There was a ‘do not disturb’ sign on the back of my door in my room. I was confused and thought the staff had locked me in.”
- “We put our towels out to dry on the balcony and they just froze.” – complaint sent to a skiing resort
- “It rained every day. The brochure didn’t mention any rain.”
- “There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners.”
- “We went on a skiing holiday but we weren’t informed that we would actually have to be able to ski.”
- “We went on a canoe trip but were very disappointed that no one told us there would not be a bathroom on-board. It was very inconvenient.”
- “Too many people in Germany only spoke German.”
Some of these people should never have left home.
I’m not sure of your plans this summer, but wherever you plan on going, it’s good to know that God is with us. Psalm 139 declares:
You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast. (Psalm 139:5-10)
As you take time to travel this summer, remember that God is with you wherever you might find yourself. Rest in his presence and enjoy your trip.